Is the stress of your divorce getting to you? There are several things you can do to help you cope during this time.
- Get plenty of rest. At least 7 to 8 hours of sleep every night.
- Eat a well balanced diet.
- Learn to pamper yourself. Taking care of yourself will give you more motivation to take care of others.
- Exercise. Make time to get active. It will boost your mood, energize you and use up all those stress hormones!
- Surround yourself with positive, happy people.
- Smile even if you don't feel like smiling.
- Seek counseling with a mental health counselor.
- Join a local support group in your city or church.
- Prioritize tasks. When you are feeling low, focus on the jobs that need to get done first.
- Change your routine, even if it is just taking a different route to work.
There are a lot of emotions tied to divorce. It can be scary to be single and this is a time of changed financial, living, and social circumstances. Allow yourself time to grieve, life will eventually return to some sort of normal.
Things to Avoid
- promiscuous sex
- new relationships to deal with loneliness
- stalking your ex
- getting revenge on your ex
- making large decisions without thinking them through
- criticizing the each other party in front of the kids
- forcing the kids to take sides
Things to Focus On
- Your kids
- Your job
- Your health and wellbeing
- Your happiness