Spousal Maintenance Lawyer in San Antonio Supporting You From Beginning to End
If you are facing any type of family law dispute, you want to hire an attorney that will provide the representation needed to guide you through this stressful time. You can depend on Laura D. Heard Law Firm Inc., but our commitment does not end once your case is resolved; our San Antonio spousal maintenance lawyer will be there for you throughout the entire process if need be. We understand how important it is to feel supported during these trying times and we aim to help make your situation easier to handle by providing the guidance and assistance necessary every step of the way.
There are many reasons why people seek spousal maintenance, but they can generally fall under one of two categories – needs (ongoing financial support) or compensation (a one-time payment). Reasons for needing ongoing financial support include:
- A sizable disparity in income between spouses during the marriage
- The non-working spouse’s lack of job skills or language barriers that limit career options
- A disabled spouse who cannot work
If you do not have sufficient income following a divorce to live within your reasonable needs, seeking spousal support payments that have the ability to provide you with the amount of maintenance needed going forward can be a major step to take. Let our spousal support law firm help you get the results you deserve.
What is Spousal Maintenance?
Spousal maintenance – also called alimony or spousal support – is an amount of money ordered by a court to be paid by one spouse for a period of time to another spouse as part of legal proceedings following a divorce or separation. It can also be included in orders after the annulment and may be requested before marital dissolution occurs (for instance, in anticipation of such an event). Spousal maintenance may be requested by the lower-income spouse to help them maintain a standard of living similar to that experienced while married. In Texas, family law judges can order spousal support in addition to property division and child support.
Spousal maintenance is not automatically awarded in Texas after a marriage ends; rather, it must be requested by the party seeking support and proven as being necessary.
What Determines How Much Spousal Maintenance is Needed in a Divorce?
Calculating whether spousal maintenance is appropriate and how much should be paid falls into four categories:
One-time payment: When establishing spousal support, factors considered often include: -The length of the marriage. The longer the marriage, the more likely it is that spousal support will be ordered for an extended period of time. – The standard of living during the marriage is relevant to spousal support awards because it reflects an agreement, implicit or explicit, that each spouse would be able to maintain the same lifestyle after divorce as they had during the marriage.
- Ongoing payment: Factors considered when ordering spousal maintenance on an ongoing basis include: -The ability of each party to support themselves based on their education, job skills, and employment history
- Length of the marriage
- Standard of living during the relationship
- Age and health of both spouses
- Any agreements made between husband and wife regarding spousal support (for instance if one spouse agrees not to pursue his/her career in order for the other spouse to focus on work)
- Tax consequences of spousal maintenance
Any other factors the court sees fit to take into account, including evidence and testimony from both parties and their respective family members.
How Can a Spousal Maintenance Lawyer Help?
If you are seeking spousal support, our experienced team of legal professionals can help provide guidance and assistance every step of the way. Our priority is to ensure that your interests are protected as we represent you through this process. The following actions will be taken:
- We analyze and determine if spousal maintenance is a viable option in your situation and whether it should be requested and how much
- We research similar cases with other judges or courts
- We draft up, review, and revise all necessary paperwork for submission to the court
- When necessary, we file required documents with the court on your behalf
- Once submitted, we argue on your behalf at hearings (if any) for an agreeable outcome
We can also represent you through mediation to ensure your rights are upheld every step of the way.
If family violence or other marital misconduct took place, we can also use that to argue for the spousal support payments you deserve.
Is Hiring a Spousal Maintenance Attorney Right for Me?
If you are a spouse seeking maintenance during and following a divorce, hiring a family law attorney from our firm can be an advantageous choice. Our legal team has the necessary experience and knowledge to help you get the result that is right for your specific situation. Call us today at 210-655-9090 to speak with our legal team today.